Aba is a city in Abia State, southern Nigeria, located on the Aba River. As of 2005 it had a population of 897,613.
Originally settled by the Ngwa Clan of the Igbo tribe, The current location of the city is based on land conceded to the british crown by the Eziukwu - Aba community. It eventually became an administrative center of Britain's colonial government. It is a major commercial center in Abia State in south-eastern Nigeria. In 1901, the British founded a military post in it, and in 1915, a railroad was constructed to link it to Port Harcourt, which transported agricultural goods such as palm oil and palm kernels; in 1929, it was the site of revolt by women, in protest of colonial taxation policy. In 1967, the capital of the short-lived secessionist state of Biafra was moved to Aba from Enugu as Nigerian troops advanced into Biafra. The city of Aba has a current population estimate of 966,001. It is surrounded by oil wells which separate it from the city of Port Harcourt, a distance of about 30 km; a 30 kilometer pipeline powers Aba with gas from the Imo River natural gas repository. Physically it is well connected, with roads leading to it from Port Harcourt, Owerri, Umuahia, Ikot Ekpene, and Ikot Abasi.
Aba is a commercial city featuring a high concentration of small scale industries — and a number of sizable markets including the famous Ariaria market. It is very densely populated and has a high ratio of artisans in its population. As a result of an overwhelming influx of people — resulting from sectarian crisis in the north — in the last three years, the local authorities are no longer able to manage the waste generated. This has made Aba the dirtiest city in Nigeria where people live alongside heaps of garbage. Aba is nicknamed "Enyimba City" which means Elephant city.
Aba is known for making its own products such as dresses, bags, and shoes which are known as "Aba made". However, many people view these products are being cheap and not well made.
Aba is the location of the Aba Migeria Temple, currently the only temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.